The pair is carved and painted balsa wood. The white one is an Avon lotion jar from 1974(going for $3-8 on etsy and ebay). I paid 49 cents for each piece and just LOVE them!!
These are gorgeous in person, the colors are so much richer than seen here. I think there are 29 blocks I can use. My plan is to sew 10 of them together and make a few scarves from them. It is frustrating to find vintage crochet pieces that are coming unraveled. I found out this is actually an instruction in the 1977 BHG crochet/knit book I bought a few days ago though. It says to clip the yarn an inch(AN INCH!!) from the work and weave in! An inch is NOT enough yarn, no way no how. Sigh. Most, if not all, of these will have to have the last several stitches redone and tied off better.
This was probably my favorite find! The small one is a Wagner size 5 pan which goes from $45-$100 on ebay and other sites. The larger griddle pan is a Lodge brand, new at Bass Pro for around $23. I paid $6 and $7 for them and plan to get them ready for use asap!!
A neighborhood friend tore down her water trough garden and gave us the trough to use as a doggie pool. The girls couldn't wait to get it set up!!
After these shenanigans we went to Mark's parents and had a bowl of ice cream to honor his father's service to our country as a Marine stationed in Okinawa and Hawaii. I bet his mom asked 20 times if we'd eaten already or if we wanted her to cook us some ham. She's getting real bad.
Today I've got laundry out the ying yang, as my good friend Lisa puts it. Wish me luck!

5 comments:
I had a pair of owl wall pieces that LOOKED very similar to those - - - only mine were cast iron and painted in olive and gold tones. They were wedding gifts - - - wonder where in the world they are now????? OH - - - maybe somebody like YOU is enjoying them second hand these days!!!! :-)
What fantastic finds!! I get so giddy when I find something I love from the thrift!!
Great thrift finds, Molly. And the pics of the kids and doggie in the trough are too fun. Glad you had success with the recipe. Your version sounds delicious.
I LOVE the owls, and I'm jealous. Your new blog format is very pretty.
Awesome finds! The iron cookware is a great buy!!!
I love the color of the squares, I'm sure you'll figure out something!
Post a Comment