Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And now for something completely educational...

Last week Ryan found one of THESE in the swimming pool!!! Isn't it creepy? He is very lucky it didn't bite the peewaddle out of him!! We assume it was in the pool because of the tadpoles. They are fast becoming pickerel frogs and so far Sarah has managed to capture 26 of them to be released at a local park. I wish they weren't so stupid to get in our pool. Neighbors beside and behind us have water gardens so I guess they just view the pool as one more habitat. We also have tree frogs and some kind of ugly black one with tiny legs(looks kind of like an olive). Anyway... here's the Giant Water Bug.





I went looking for some food fun to do with the kids this summer. We watch Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmern and LOVE it! However, I don't think I'll be frying up any grasshoppers or squid hearts anytime soon. Instead, we'll be trying breakfast foods from around the world. Its an interesting jumping off point, now I have to research the recipes! But really, how fun does that sound to learn how different cultures do the morning meal? This page has them divided into 19 different categories but we'll probably tweak it to fit us better. I'm thinking this will be something to do on Saturday mornings rather than a weekday. That way I'll have an adult helper and he won't have to miss out on the good cooking.

In other news...

We're going fishing this afternoon when Mark gets off work. Not so much to fish as to allow Mark to fix the boat motor. It quit working last time they went out and he tinkered with it enough that he thought it would need professional help. He worked on it Sunday and got it running again but it needs some fine tuning in the water.

I wish I could find my camera cord!!! We had a super time in Ft. Worth at the zoo and botanical gardens, I highly recommend this trip! I can't show you any pictures yet though, darn it! Hopefully soon.

1 comment:

Betts said...

Yuck! I'm glad I haven't seen one of those in our pond. But now, if I do, I'll know what it is.