Monday, June 8, 2009

Cool colors and less clutter...

I bought this shelf sometime last year and just love the shape of it. There used to be sliding doors on the front but they weren't with it when I found it.


(picture taken when I first brought it home and cleaned it up)

We stopped by Lowe's on Wednesday night after we dropped the girls at their church activities and I bought a "mis-tint" pint of this wonderful minty green. It is SO brilliant it almost sparkles(but its a satin I think). Anyway, it was just enough to do the octagon mirror from the thrift store and the inside of the shelf. I love how it turned out!


(look next to the white shelf, but don't you dare laugh)(you are laughing aren't you?)(I told you not to laugh!!)(its the same box)(quit laughing)



I spent most of Saturday and Sunday thinning out books. If there is a thing that is harder to part with I've not found it. So far I've got two stacks over 30 inches tall. First I'm taking them to my homeschool park day to hand out and what is left will go to the thrift store.


(There isn't an after picture yet because I'm not finished but there is a cleared path to the door now)


In other news...

We stopped by the pet store to see how our kittens were faring only to learn that 3 of the 4 had passed away about 2 weeks ago. The rescue/foster mom said they just never gained weight and seemed to get sicker and sicker. They had trouble opening their eyes and trouble eating. It makes me wonder if they weren't a bit premature or suffering from an illness(I hope not). She said the survivor was very small still, about 2 weeks behind in size, but had a good appetite and they were hopeful she'd make it. They've decided to keep her and named her Fiesty.

Their sad sad situation just drives home the point that people need to spay and neuter their animals(and keep them inside to curb the spread of disease). If you haven't done so, please do. And, if yours are all taken care of, consider donating to a low-cost provider of these services like the one we use here in Longview, S.N.I.P.-Pets so that others can afford to do what is right.

We are doing VBS this week for Sarah, starting this past Sunday. Its at 6:15 til 8:45 each evening and lemme tell ya, that's a major pain. Having to have Ryan here there and yon and now Sarah, EVERY night, I'm a tired mama. This morning I woke up about 6:40, ate, got online and decided at 8am to go back to bed. I slept til 10:34. Apparently I needed it, to be fair I did get up at 5am Sunday morning when the boys left to go fishing.

Anyway, Sarah loves VBS and tonight she brought a friend. She'll go to the friend's VBS on Wednesday morning to return the favor. So, tomorrow Ryan to work at 9am, pick up around 5:30ish, Sarah to VBS at 6:15-8:45. Wednesday, Sarah to VBS(friend's) at 9am, home at 12, back to her VBS at the usual time. Thursday morning is homeschool park day, 9am-2pm usually, Ryan to work at 6, Sarah to VBS at 6:15...I'm not sure how I will pull this off, they are on opposite sides of town, Sarah out at 8:45, Ryan off at 9:45. Friday Ryan to work at 11pm til 7am Saturday(for a Lock-in). Oh My Heavenly Stars, I'm going to be freakin' exhausted as I am the designated driver to and from all of these events!!! So, there may not be as much decluttering going on as I would like.

You all know where I'm headed as soon as I hit the publish button...zzzzzz Hopefully I won't dream about strange men breaking into our garage like I did this morning, that was a scary, very real dream. ugh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of the kittens! I have 4 cats and all are fixed!

I understand about it being hard for you to give up your books. For me, it's my fabric! I can't stand the thought of giving it away or selling what I don't use!

Chickenbells said...

Holy COW!!! The shelf is amazing isn't it? I just love how it turned out...and it looks so darned different than it did...it's amazing what a coat of paint will do.

I'm so sorry about the kitties...but, it's a wonderful reminder to fix your outside cats.

A Slice of the Pie said...

Love the color on the shelf! I also think it was rather clever of you to replace the live cat display on the top in the before pic in favor of the sculpture on the shelf below!

Kel

~Molly~ said...

I love decorating with live cats, lol.

Betts said...

I get afraid of using color with paint, but your shelves look fantastically bold.