Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fun Project for Summer....

I wanna make a Terrarium!! Aren't they COOL?

My mom had one in a large glass bottle when I was a little girl but the bottle got shot by a bb gun(I think) when I was about 11 or 12. There was something magical about looking inside and see the plants, ceramic critters, and moisture, kinda like a mini rainforest. Lately I've been seeing them here and there on a few blogs. There is also flickr group. It looks like a nice thing for the kids and I to do together. We will be hunting the thrift stores for the perfect containers and researching what kind of plants do best.

You can add animals such as frogs or other amphibians, or lizards to your terrarium, although I'm pretty sure ours will just be plants, at least for now. This one is getting ready for a newt! And another really neat one! There is even a Terrarium Museum with some awesome pictures of Victorian style terrariums.

I've invited my homeschooling group to pool our resources and have a group Terrarium-fest but I'm not sure how many will actually participate. It would be a great kid-friendly project for the summer, in my opinion. If anyone has a blog post about their terrariums, please share it in my comments! I'd love to read about your experience.

A few more terrarium sites:

The Magic Terrarium

Inhabitat

How to Crochet a Terrarium Hanger(or something like that)

1 comment:

Keetha Broyles said...

Wow - - - some of those are really cool.

Looks like you've done your research - - - don't forget to show us your project when it is completed!!!