Friday, August 14, 2009

Sounds of Summer...

One of my favorite treats of summer is listening to cicadas sing in our oak tree. Of course, I can also hear them singing in the trees throughout our neighborhood, they are quite loud! When the kids were little they would collect bread sacks full of empty cicada shells but they've thankfully outgrown that. Very rarely have we had the pleasure of watching one hatch from its larval shell.


Longview News-Journal photographer Les Hassell braved mosquitoes and who-knows-what other creepy, crawlies to get these spectacular images of a cicada emerging from its shell. They are truly spectacular!

In other news....

We are going to the Pritchett Okra Festival tomorrow!! I hope to come home with a bushel of goodies. Homesick Texan just posted a recipe for pickled okra, how timely is that? I'm planning on making a few pints at least, depending on what my haul is.

3 comments:

Chickenbells said...

The cicadas are SO loud here, that I actually had a ringing in my ears when I came into the house and couldn't quite hear right for a long while.

And are. you. kidding. me? They have an OKRA festival? I LOVE LOVE LOVE okra...LOVE it. I have been patiently (ok, not so much) waiting for okra to show up at the farmers market here...I'll eat it raw, fried, baked, in soup, pickled...I don't care...I just ADORE it! I want some pictures of this blessed event thankyouverymuch!

A Slice of the Pie said...

Oh, I love the cicadas too. It always reminds of my childhood. Lounging in the yard by the pool with friends and that sound. I am listening to them right now!

I never had okra until about five or six years ago, and I love it. And last year was the first time I ever saw it growing. It's such an interesting looking plant.

Kel

autumnesf said...

Love picked okra! You will have to share your recipe!