Friday, July 17, 2009

We needed rain....


(unaltered color of our pool this morning)

What we didn't need was a storm. It carried on, knocked the power out(which caused a stubbed toe for me), felled limbs, wreaked havoc, and destroyed our glass-topped table(second one). UGH!!! Mark wanted to go rescue it about an hour into the storm but I wouldn't let him. These are some past limbs that have fallen from our oak tree in very close proximity to the table. There was NO way he was going out there last night. I'm pretty sure the damage had already been done and he'd have been too late anyway.

***NONE of these fallen limbs occurred because of this storm!***
**and Mark was furious when he found out about the table but is resolved to make something wonderful out of it with a wooden top**


(I love this tree!)


(This limb just fell for no apparent reason, thankfully on a day when we'd decided we were too tired to swim.)


(It landed on the chair I'd been sitting in the day before while watching the kids. I heard it hit and thought it must've been a car crash but when I looked outside the roads were clear. As I walked back through the living room I saw the disaster.)


(this limb fell very recently)


(This one fell on the house, slid down, landed butt-end down and then vaulted over to rest against the tree-next pic.)


(I think it was about 30 feet long)



Here's what happened to the table when the wind caught the umbrella last night...








In other news...

Here's another picture of Pickles. Next to a nickel.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow you did have a lot of damage! I'm thankful our glass top table was not broken. That's a bummer! Pickles is cute! Sorry we missed the terrariums. That looked fun!

Chickenbells said...

Good heavens! Why must storms be so darned violent? I guess that's probably why they're called storms, eh?? I'm happy that no people or animals at your house got smashed!

A Slice of the Pie said...

Oh, my! Glad you are all safe.

Kelre

Carol Dunton said...

Oh my gosh...reminds me of the storms we had in Ohio as a kid and how two of them took out the big 5-trunked tree in our front yard. It was scary as a child and they are still scary as adults!! I am so grateful that you and your family were not injured...the damage is quite a bit, but all replaceable!! Thank goodness! Take care and be safe as you clean up!
VB

~Molly~ said...

Just a reminder, none of the limbs were lost in this storm, those were previous "gifts" from the tree. He tosses them down now and then, sometimes without help from the wind!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Maybe that tree ought to go.

Anet said...

Trees and wind scare the dickens out of me now, ever since last Spring when trees were falling like crazy around here!
What a bummer about your table.
Sounds like a wooden table is a very good idea. Stay safe.