This is my second loaf of bread made from Alton Brown's soft pretzel recipe,blogged earlier. It makes really, REALLY, good bread. I suspect the reason why it isn't taller is that it didn't rise long enough and/or it wasn't in a loaf pan. It went through two risings but the second was hurried(maybe 35 minutes) since I had to be somewhere. Next time I'll let it sit longer and try a loaf pan, or two-this thing is huge(20 slices after we ate the ends off)! This is seasoned with garlic and onion powder, savory, parsley, caraway, sunflower, and fennel seeds, along with some seasoned salt from Herbal Grace. It is wonderful toasted with mustard, black forest ham, and munster cheese.
Aaaaaaannnddd....
I
also
made
this!!!!
(obviously not blocked yet)
I am so NOT good with patterns, not one bit. But, I was looking through the patterns that belonged to my grandmother and found this book. Most of what I got from her is for bedspreads, chair sets, luncheon sets, and larger doilies so I was glad to finally see something with smaller projects. Rest assured I will NOT be taking on anything much bigger than these!
I am not sure if the one I chose(the bottom one) was the easiest or hardest of the six but I managed to complete the first square in about four hours without ANY ripping! The second square took slightly less time but I had to frog half a row a few times. I think it was because it was late and I was tired. My stitches are fairly steady even so each side turned out within a 1/8th inch of the other or better, size-wise. Now I've got to find some satin and make a pillow and get the border put on. I'm sure that can't be any harder than the sides themselves.
I LOVE the red but I don't have much left so a trip to Goodwill is in order, they usually have tons of this stuff! I also have black and brown in bedspread weight but can't locate it right now. These would be cool in a sport weight or worsted for larger pillows or purse. Hmmmm, creative juices are now flowing, stand by. I have nothing to do this afternoon so I think I'll try another one of the patterns.
Now, because he disobeys my commands to stop. being. so. darn. cute...
(just today, see how BIG he's got? I bet he's nearly doubled in size since I found him)
(he's finally -slightly- bigger than the remote)
(most of our cats are afghan kitties, he took right up with them)
(he's also a daddy's boy)
(Jeff, just because he is cute too, and slightly larger than an Oreo cookie)

1 comment:
I was just thinking about making bread. I'll have to try that recipe soon. Oh, that kitty is cute. I can't get enough photos of him.
Post a Comment