I almost didn't go for my walk today but something compelled me. I'm ever so glad I did, and so is this little guy. He was lost from his mom in the woods. These woods are filled with raccoons, foxes, possums, stray dogs, coyotes, and so forth. He would not have lasted the evening. I was sitting at a picnic table along the path, taking a breather and talking to a friend on the phone. I kept hearing this pitiful crying and thought it was a bird. Finally it dawned on me that it was a cat cry and a desperate cat cry at that. I started trying to pinpoint where it was coming from, there is a street of duplexes just yards away from the path. I figured it was a cat trapped in something. I called, "kitty kitty kitty" and the meows got closer. My friend and I had seen a nursing mama cat in these same woods on Sunday afternoon so I thought it might be her. I went about 20 feet off the trail, then 30 feet, then 40 feet, the cries were closer and I heard rustling. Finally he appeared, making a mad dash for me, screeching his poor head off! He was SO lost from his mama. I know he is one of her babies. Maybe he tried to follow her on a hunting expedition and couldn't keep up, she might not have known he was behind her. Or, as cats sometimes do, they move their babies. Who knows. All I do know is that we found each other and he is not going to be eaten by a forest creature tonight. Thank goodness.


He was absolutely starving when I came across him, tried to nurse in the crook of my arm and the back of my neck. Just frantic. My friend we get our milk from was letting Sarah have a play date with her daughter and just happened to have a can of goat's milk and we fed him there. It was obvious he'd never eaten from a plate or bowl before. We think he's about 3-4 weeks old. Oh my gosh he is TINY!!


I picked up some KMR(kitten milk replacement) tonight and he absolutely inhaled it. Sarah is playing with him in the floor right now and he's pretty stumbly on his little baby feet. The other cats are in shock of course but none have been mean to him, they mostly back away. That is dirt on his nose, we haven't had a chance to wipe it off yet.


I'm hoping to keep him until my mom(don't tell my dad) can take him. He's just a doll baby!! We're trying to decide on a name right now. Mark and I adopted a baby just like this the winter we first met. We named him Diablo and he ended up being my mom's cat. He also reminds me of the old cat across the street from us named Tom. Amy suggested Frisco but I'm not warm on it. I'm sure the perfect name will come to us eventually. Who does he look like to you?
10 comments:
Oh my how cute, very, very cute. I'm so glad you found him.
Susan ( from Quilter's who HS too )
I love your new blog look.
Oh ! forgot, I think he should be called Rusty or Ginger if you can stand it or just plain ole Fred Ginger Roger's partner or Astair. lol.
I think he looks lucky.
Very sweet!
Kel
You know we all wish we could take the little guy off your hands...sigh....but like I said, I would not like to go through a divorce.
PS I love your new blog!
How adorable! I like the name Tigger for him.
Aaawww, what a cutie! I'm not a huge fan of orange cats, but I cannot resist a baby...period! LOL As for his name, there's an orange gemstone called "Padparadscha" so I would shorten that and call him Padpa.
Julie
He's so sweet! I'm so glad you found him and can keep him safe and nourished. Since his "singing" drew you to him, about naming him after a singer you like.
I'm so glad you found each other! The poor sweetie! It's most likely a boy kitten being a orange tiger. I have two of them.
If you come up with a couple of names, you could write them on papers place them around on the floor and see which one the kitten picks for himself:)
Molly he is soooo cute. I wish I was there. I'm already going through a divorce so us taking him would be no big deal....lol. Plus I've always wanted an orange kitten. I go a long with Betts on naming him after a singer like Toby or someone. Too bad we are all the way here in Fl.
Heidi
Oh, I'm so HAPPY that you rescued him! I wish I could run over and take him, I've just fallen in love with his story...little monkey!
Post a Comment