Friday, September 18, 2009

Ready for Fall....

Colors burst in wild explosions
Fiery, flaming shades of fall
All in accord with my pounding heart
Behold the autumn-weaver
In bronze and yellow dying
Colors unfold into dreams
In hordes of a thousand and one
The bleeding
Unwearing their masks to the last notes of summer
Their flutes and horns in nightly swarming
Colors burst within
Spare me those unending fires
Bestowed upon the flaming shades of fall.
-Dark Tranquility, With the Flaming Shades of Fall

But I remember more dearly autumn afternoons in bottoms that lay intensely silent under old great trees - C. S. Lewis

I am SO ready for the Autumn season! And really, really ready for the rain to stop already. Please? I think we're on day 8 of rain or something like that. Possibly up to 10 inches or more so far. I now realize that what I love is a good, dramatic, thunderstorm rather than incessant dripping, dripping rain.

Fall sports some of my favorite colors, the temperature is more agreeable, and there is just something about the angle of sunlight that seems more beautiful than other times of the year.



(on the side of the house)


(looking out to our front yard)


(sunset from our driveway)


(over the pool fence)

Anyway...



We lost our sweet Puppy-girl a few days ago, unexpectedly but not. She would have been 15 years old on October 7th and had declined in health over the summer. We are sad to see her go but glad she won't suffer through another unkind winter.

I have a felty crafty thing going on but can't share pictures yet because the camera is with the kids in North Carolina. Its based on this cuteness from turkey feathers(in my blogroll) but will be a banner(and a necklace) instead of a mobile. I made Mark go collect leaves for me last weekend while we were watching football so I'd have something to keep me occupied in between touchdowns. If I can figure out how, I will share the patterns here.

We are collecting the kids this weekend in Birmingham. I can't wait to get them home so we can get back into a routine. Sarah has missed 3 weeks of AWANAs so she'll have lots to work on. Amy and Ryan are anxious to see their friends again. And, I'm ready to have some noise in the house during the day! It has been too quiet here.

4 comments:

Chickenbells said...

Fall is indeed creeping in...I am hoping after this weeks weird craziness, I will be able to enjoy it. Well, maybe more after next weekend perhaps...you know? If I don't get deported ;)

I'm so sorry about the loss of the pup...I'm sure it's a bit emptier without her sweetness in the house.

Tipper said...

I'm ready for fall-I think : ) So sorry about your Puppy girl.

A Slice of the Pie said...

So sorry about your dog.

I bet you've missed the kids terribly. My daughter has been away this week and it so strange not having her around.

Kel

Eilleen said...

I'm so sorry about your dog.

Autumn's my favourite time of the year too. Your craft felt project sounds interesting - can't wait to see it!