Today we took the boat out to Gilmer Lake for a test run to see how the motor would be. We had a not-so-great day fishing(we didn't catch anything, sunburn, lost lures, fought winds, and had so-so luck with the motor-but it could have been worse). Plus Mark has come down with the nasty sore throat I had a few weeks ago and tomorrow is his birthday. When we came home I was scrounging for some dinner that wasn't a frozen burrito or eggroll or leftover spaghetti. I spied the half-eaten bag of Doritos we took on the boat and had an instant craving for Dorito Casserole.
My mom's sister Donna introduced us to this awesome, tasty dish when I was a little girl. It had Rotel tomatoes, cream of mushroom and chicken soups, ground beef, and lots of cheese. My mom made it very occasionally and I've made it a few times now and then(like every 2-3 years). It is sooooo good and sooooo bad for you at the same time, the perfect comfort food! Once you get a craving for something like this, nothing else will do though so I was disappointed to think I couldn't make this tonight... or so I thought.
There was a new block of extra sharp cheddar in the fridge along with a couple leftover chicken leg quarters I'd baked on Thursday, some sour cream, and a jar of green chili salsa. In the pantry was a jar of roasted red pepper alfredo sauce. Oh my gooosh this was good!!!! It didn't make much but it was just enough for the four of us to have one serving(Ryan is camping with friends and missed out- bummer).
Southern Comfort Chicken Dorito Casserole
(all measurements very approximate)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 jar roasted red pepper alfredo sauce(use 3/4 of it)
3 cups Doritos(not crushed), I used spicy salsa flavor
3 cups cut up chicken(cooked)
2/3 cup green chili salsa, I used Herdez brand
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder(or cook up an onion if you have time)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Combine all ingredients well in a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a greased 8x8 casserole dish or 9x5x3 loaf pan(I used my Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pan). Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350. Serve hot with cut up veggies such as baby carrots and cucumbers. This will serve 2 very hungry people or 4 very tired people who need something to eat.
10 years ago

6 comments:
Goodness...that does indeed sound very good and very bad all at the same time!
My word that sounds wicked good.
You just had to share that pillar of health food, didn't you! LOL!
Dear Molly, I have been trying hard to connect with my many blogging friends that I have sadly neglected. I am so glad I am able to visit you today. I keep looking at your link and thinking I must see what Molly's life is dealing with. I am sorry I have been gone so long. I slowed down on blogging but now I am back. I always seem to get a new post out but finding time to visit is another story. sigh!
Boating is fun and also a pain. I have many memories of days like yours on our boat way back when. Once we were hauled back to land by that bad motorcycle gang. they were awesome and very nice. HA! Can't think of their name now!
I am going to watch your videos next. We too had record snow this year and were snowed in many times. Mountain roads do not do well with snow and ice. Now it is a new day and Spring is lovely. I hope you will come over and say hello dear Molly. Question? did that door ever get finished? HA!
Hugs, xoxo, Jeanne
Ohhhh, I never thought of cooking with doritos before, apart from making nachos.
Now I'm getting inspired, but as I'm trying to lose weight, maybe I shouldn't! That sounds so yummy!
Mmmm...corn chips. Now I have cravings!
Daharja from Cluttercut XX
Daharja I think you should make these as soon as possible!!LOL My version wasn't near as bad as the original(I forgot it also has Velveeta cheese in it-my version didn't). It can't possibly be fattening!
Jeanne the snow was CRAZY in North Carolina this year! Mom said it was at least twice as much as all their previous winters combined(they've been there since 2002).
I've become too busy to blog as often as I want. Having two teenagers and homeschooling them does that. I visit yours often but don't comment much on anybody's. How is CC?
Molly
Now i'm starrrrrvvvving!
And it's 10:30pm
Thanks Moll!
<3 ya
:)
Post a Comment