Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A recipe and a crochet pattern....

Some call it dinner and some call it supper. I've always used both words for the same meal but this time its definitely a supper kind of night.

Here is (sort of) what I'm cooking tonight. I've got it simmering on the stove now and its not even noon! It may end up being lunch as well, it smells soooo good!

Of course I made changes, I always do. Since I'm not a big fan of cooked carrots, I left them out along with the tomato sauce. Because we love spicy, I added a big handful of chopped cilantro, cayenne pepper, chipotle pepper, oregano, chili powder, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and beef broth(better than boullion paste). Also, I only put in two celery stalks, added an extra potato, used a whole red pepper, and subbed a can of salt free diced tomatoes for the whole tomato. My 5 quart stock pot is about 3/4 full so I'll have some to freeze for this weekend too. It is so nice to find recipes like these that can be customized to individual tastes. Woman's Day cookbook has one similar that uses mint for flavoring and it is awesome!

This is our second meatless meal in a row. Last night I had no clue what we would be eating until about 45 minutes before we actually ate. Colcannon was on my mind all day but I didn't have cabbage and my kale had already turned yellow. Sigh. Anyway, I did have some other veggies so I threw them all in the skillet with olive oil and boiled some rotini pasta. Here's the deal:

1 red pepper, chopped
7-8 large brown mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves
1 cup frozen chopped spinach
red pepper flakes to taste

Cook in olive oil til tender, serve over noodles with lots of parmesan cheese! YUM!!

Amy accidentally messed up their camera and my computer is in need of doctoring so I can't post any pictures! Its driving me crazy because I'm making the CUTEST little 6-petal crochet flowers. I'll share the pattern with you though. Now this is something I came up with all on my own so YMMV(your mileage may vary). I used I Love this Cotton from Hobby Lobby(similar to Peaches and Cream but softer) with a size I(9 or 5.5mm) hook.

I don't know how to write out a pattern in crochet language so bear with me!

Chain 3. Make 12 double crochet stitches in the first chain loop(chain will count as 13th). Join with a slip stitch in the top of the ch 3(this is the tricky part for me because I can't really tell which one I'm sl in so make sure there are 12 loops around the outside of the circle including the the sl st). Chain 5, skipping next stitch, slip stitch in next stitch. Repeat 5 times from ch 5, ending sl st will be in the back of the starting sl st. If for "some reason" you come to the last flower petal and have two stitches to skip before the final sl st, chain 6 instead of 5 and do the sl st in the normal place. This has happened to me on a few of them(see above) but isn't devastating. Fasten off. These are super cute and super fast! I've made about 20 in a really nice taupe novelty yarn that has a gold thread, slubby things and "foof", hopefully they will be a scarf or part of a scarf, I can't decide how to use them. Maybe I can get Mark to take a picture or two with his phone.

3 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Well, first, thanks for stopping by my blog! To tell you the truth, I never have much more than 3 or 4 bucks for the thrift store--and that's mostly in change. I bet if you dig in the bottom of your pocketbooks or coat pockets or under the couch cushions you could come up with a buck or two, LOL! (BTW, my big rule about thrifting is that I have to bring a bag of stuff to donate and I can only bring home a small fraction of what I got rid of.)
Last year my husband surprised me with a gift card when I was on my way to visit my mother in Ohio. I used some of the money to buy myself a book about crocheting flowers. I'm going to give your instructions a try, too!

clickmom said...

I suggested we eat vegetarian a couple of nights a week to my boys. Not a well received suggestion.

~Molly~ said...

clickmom, if you make a hearty soup they might not care, lol!!