I've had a few questions about why I changed my blog url/name so I think I'll take this public space to let everyone know what went on.
This happened because of an incident with a local homeschool mom "friend". For reasons I don't understand, back in early November she started planting seeds in the heads of many moms in our local (99% conservative Christian) homeschooling community that I was a devil worshipper(pagan, wiccan, choose your poison) apparently because I love nature and voted for Obama.
Yeah.
She did.
Sigh.
I heard one of the things that caused her to think this, or whatever, was because I had pine cones in a basket at Christmastime. Also, she appeared to "know"(by osmosis I guess) that I didn't have any Bibles in my home. For the record, we have NINE, more if you count a few from childhood and at least one of them gets read multiple times a day. And that I didn't have any crosses in my home. We do have crosses, they just aren't prominently displayed on my walls. If those things make someone a non-Christian then a lot more of us might be in big trouble!! Personally, I don't believe one should decorate with crosses to prove one's faith. Having them in possession is one thing, displaying them is one thing, but for it to be a requirement of Christianity is quite another! Not buying it.
***updated to add this: Another thing she questioned(or brought up to others for questioning actually) was a quilt I had made. She claimed it was a pagan symbol of some sort. She had told another friend it was pictured on my blog so I searched and searched. Surely I would know if I made a quilt with pagan symbols on it, don't you think? Anyway, I finally found what she was talking about(I think), a paper-pieced hexagon quilt in a six-pointed star shape. Oooooh. Apparently there is some reference to a six pointed star in Revelation being the sign of the devil. I really had to do some research on that one. Sheesh. At this point it became very clear to me that she was strictly on a "witch hunt" and I was the target. What was so bad is that she got a few of my long-time friends involved with this. My relationship with some of them will never be the same.
Here is a neat site about Christian symbols, and another.
I can assure you that I am not what she claimed. I am a Christian, raised Southern Baptist but not in a church home right now. Truth is something I'm all for, I wouldn't deny believing a certain way if it was really what I believed. Religions fascinate me, I love learning about why and what others believe in. Some of my local friends are pagan and/or Wiccan. They are not going to convert me or corrupt me, loss of my salvation isn't an issue. They are interesting and non-judgemental(well, ok, there are a few who are quite judgemental...oh well) but I am friends with them because I LIKE them. I am NOT doing anything wrong by having people with different belief systems in my life. It's too bad that others have a problem with this but I'm not going to change nor does it negate my status as a child of God.
Anyway, she questioned my Dark Oak Woman name(which was strictly an "indian name", hello, I have been interested in Indians since I was a preschooler and majored in Native American Studies at OU!) and dirtied it for me. That's ok though!! I really love the new name, it fits my personality much better.
I cut all ties with this person in mid-February and will not allow her toxic spewing back into my life, ever! I've even asked others not to tell me if the issue is still being discussed. This has been a nightmare for me and my family but has finally leveled out on my end. Now is the time for me to be done with it completely, it has wasted FAR, FAR too much of my time.
And that's the story of why I'm now at uneven edges.*G* Hope yall understand my need for a change!

9 comments:
Hmmm... well poo on her, I say!
She wouldn't like me either! I celebrate the seasons and have pulled away from organized religion in the past few years. We are a Native American family...who has many pagan customs. I wouldn't call us pagan that's for sure. I know all good things come from God and we are very thankful for them. God made the seasons, nature...pine cones and all! We love nature too and there is nothing wrong with loving and honoring God's gift.
I can't believe she was bugged by a basket of pine cones, what a nincompoop!
Oooo... scary pine cones!
Molly, I think you rock! I know this must of been tough to go through. I kept wondering what it was about and I'm glad you shared with us. I hope you don't let it sink into your heart. I know it's hard.
This why I joined the secular homeschool group. We don't discuss our religious or political beliefs... we don't judge anyone and all are welcome:) We are about the kids...learning, sharing, having friends. Also supporting each other as homeschooling moms.
Big ((hugs!)) I like your new blog and name:)
Thank you Anet, I needed this! It has been tough, more difficult than I intended it to be.
We don't have any secular groups here. I started a group about 5 years ago that is available to all with the understanding that there might be someone with a different belief system than the norm(for east Texas that would be a fundementalist conservative Christian). So far we've not had too many problems, our biggest one was about politics which led to this woman's shenanigans.
I'm not a churchy person, not good at churchy words or sayings at all, but I know what is in my heart and I know it is good and pleasing to God. That's pretty much all that matters to me. I understand that God created me to be exactly how I am. Like the Billy Joel song, "Just the Way You Are", I am not supposed to change into some verse quoting, prudish snot in order to fit in with the local Christian population.
Ok, I'm getting down off the soapbox now before I require another post, lol.
Gosh, that is so aggravating to have to deal with. I just don't get when people feel they need to stir up trouble. A few years back we had someone come into our homeschool community with a giant spoon trying to stick it in everywhere. Factions split off, feelings were hurt, I was personally accused of being a spy for totally ridiculous reasons. Ugh, still gets me a wee bit worked up. Hope you find healing, Molly.
Kel
Hmm I've still got pine cones with a scarecrow stuck in 'em where I've not got them put away from before Christmas.... wonder what that means...
Sorry you had to go through that and glad I followed you :)
Sometimes devout Christians don't practice what they preach or what is preached to them. Christianity should be a way of life, and not measured by quantity of bibles and crosses. I don't go to church; my place of worship is in nature. I display nature around my house (including pine cones in a bowl) and I assist injured animals and feed wildlife in the winter. I try to be thoughtful and nice to people. Isn't that what God would want? I think you're former friend should reevaluate what God expects of his children. I'm sure that hurting other with unsubstantiated rumors isn't on the list.
Missus Wookie, I think that might make you behind in your housework is all!LOL
Betts, that's a wonderful way to worship(and my way too). I believe God gave us nature as a gift but He did ask us to be good stewards of it. I can't imagine God having a problem with any of the things I did that offended this woman!
There were other things she didn't like about me(and my whole family) from the pets we have to how I raise my kids. She was just a negative person all around.
I do want to let anyone who reads the comments and this post to know, I do care about this woman and hope she has a blessed, happy life. Certainly I do not wish her ill. It was best for me to cut contact with her completely but that doesn't mean I hate her or think she's a horrible person.
Groan! Having been in fundamental churches for way to long (past, not present) I'm way too familiar with this kind of trouble. When your religion becomes more about what you are AGAINST instead of what you are FOR...you end up with lots of witch hunts!!
Our family is very immersed in church and we have no crosses. Wait, I do have one that hangs above my sink..its made with leaves..which reminds me of my name...and thats why I have it.
Love you Molly! Sorry you had to go through this. Been in many similar situations until I got smart enough.
Thanks Autumn! At first this whole thing made me question "church" in general as being the problem but I think now that it is/was just this particular person's problem. However, many of the women she went to with this still look at me funny at homeschool functions. Sigh. I really don't know them well enough to ask what they are thinking nor do I really care but it will always make me wonder.
I have a gorgeous cross made from a thick wire with all sorts of beautiful glass beads on it. My daughter's friend gave it to us and its in my bedroom.
Post a Comment